The idea of zero waste living can feel overwhelming.
A part of the reason we started our blog was to show how practical and natural living sustainably can actually be. Thinking of a zero-waste lifestyle, going fully vegan, or eliminating all single use plastics can feel so daunting that we might give up before even starting.
But it really can be easy if taken step-by-step. This is why I wanted to highlight some easy habits for living sustainably that can also save you time and money. Each one is a great place to start your journey.
Habits to Start Your Zero-Waste Living
Here are some easy habits you can implement to reduce your waste, help save the planet, and also save yourself some money. I’ve also linked some of our blog posts that have more details for each point if you want to read more details.
3 habits that can save you money:
- Reusing items before you throw them away, such as glass pasta sauce jars;
- Shopping second-hand items, everything from clothing to garden tools;
- Using soap bars over liquid soap, including body wash and shampoo.
3 habits that can save you time and energy:
- Meal planning to save food waste;
- Buying less and using what you have;
- Invest in quality instead of chasing trends.
3 habits that are an easy place to start:
- Reusable to-go items, such as water bottles and bags;
- Using cloth to replace paper towels and napkins;
- Hang drying your clothes.
My sustainable lifestyle is greatly influenced by the beauty of my surroundings in the Pacific Northwest. It’s a way of life that feels natural now, but that is because I’ve been making small continual changes over a number of years.
And I’m still learning! It’s so important to remember this is a journey and we’re all doing what we can when we can.
The goal is not to be perfect, but to make small consistent changes that make a difference.
What are your favourite (and easy) zero-waste lifestyle tips?